WuzzU.P.

CompSci News, Blah blah Views

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

The First CS CWTS Community Work



Last November 25, the TPACK (Team for Proficient Allies in Computer Knowledge) group had their first computer literacy training class at Parang High School in Marikina. The laboratory was equipped with 15 computers. The first year high school students have to share computers in order for us to accommodate them in the class.



These are some of the things our CWTS student teachers have to say:

"At first I was a bit anxious and nervous on what kind of students are we going to deal with. But after meeting the kids, I felt relieved. All those warm greetings and friendly faces made it possible for us to feel lax dealing with them. It was hard to impose control over the class. Whenever they’re in a hands-on activity, the noise starts to aggravate."



"As a teacher, I learned the value of good communication for better knowledge absorption of the students. Questioning these students from time to time were
necessary in order for me to evaluate if they were really paying attention or not. I also learned the value of patience and understanding, proper control of my temper and the true value of our group."

"As a teacher, I learned that the cooperation and interaction among the students and I is a very important factor for the said training to be successful. And this is what I think : although I find them cooperative, I think that there is a factor that needs to be further developed for the improvement of the training .With regards to me, as the facilitator of the learning process in that particular group of students, I know that my preparedness for every meeting is very necessary. I know that I should have more strategies to serve my students the knowledge they need to know."



Last December 2, the FASTFOOD (The group members names all had something to do with fastfood - Wendy (s), Carl(s Jr), (Jolli)Bee, Alan(?), Edison(?)) group also had their first day of teaching at Concepcion Integrated High School in Marikina. There were only 4 computers at that school, that's why we only had 10 participants who were all first year high school students.

Here are the things that some members of the FASTFOOD group have to say:



"It was tiring but really fulfilling. It was also a bit alarming that most of them haven't seen computers before."



"...I still had a great time because I was able to grasp their eagerness to learn. They were ready to learn and maybe they were just not given the chance. I was
able to realize how gifted we are. I guess, one of the weaknesses we had was expecting so much from them and I think we could improve our teaching strategy if we will not be overtly technical in defining concepts since they new little about computers."

1 Comments:

At 12/06/2006 5:16 PM, Blogger ia said...

Waw kainggit! :P I'm glad there's a CS CWTS now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home